Wednesday 1 March 2017

Papertrey Ink Make it Monday 276


Hello there everyone and welcome to my blog...

It is Monday so that means another fantastic Papertrey Ink Make it Monday and this week features Melissa Phillips and her brilliant and beautiful technique of colouring on kraft cardstock. Aren't her sample cards stunning?

Mimkraft1

Melissa suggested that we might like to try this technique with black cardstock as well as kraft and I have done just that. 

I have made two cards for this challenge, one on black and one on kraft. Let's have a look at the black one first.

I have used the fantastic dies from the Don't Forget to Write set to cut out a dark blue note card and the square inset in white. I really love that these dies already have that stitching line all around, in keeping with my love of stitching projects. I used the square die to cut out the centre and then I backed it with some decorative vellum-like paper. Actually, I have to confess that it came from a delicious box of chocolates. I loved the paper so much that I saved it. :)


I have used one of my all time favourite stamp sets, In Bloom, which I embossed in white on black card and cut out with the dies. I have used Prismacolor pencil crayons to colour in the two blossoms.


The word Note is again a die from the Don't Forget To Write set. I have cut it out four times for dimension. If you can see from this photo, one of the layers is pale blue and another is black and I have barely offset them for a teeny tiny bit of a shadow to match the black border around the blooms.


And that finished up that card. Next up, kraft.  :)


I started with a white card base, rounded the corners and very lightly sponged on some lavender ink all around and then stamped the cross-stitch stamp from Sew Simple Borders down along the edge. The other edge got a nice lavender ribbon and bow.


The centre panel is kraft and I have used the two large branch stamps from Stitched Sentiments in a pale green and the little blossom in lavender down both sides of the panel. 

On top is the beautiful lattice die from Garden Gate kit. I just adore this die. Cannot imagine why I do not use it all the time!

The stamp I chose is the Year of Flowers Gladiolus. I embossed in white on the same kraft cardstock and cut it out with the coordinating die. I used the same Prismacolor pencil crayons on this as well.



After beginning to assemble the card I did not like the look of the flowers just sitting on top of the lattice so I cut them apart and stuck them through the lattice. Much better.

I also did not like the idea of the lattice flat on the card (I do so love dimension) so cut the tiny foam squares into even tinier little slivers and stuck them on the back to lift it up a bit. Even better still. :)


The sentiment stamped in black and lavender is from Banner Sentiments and cut with the coordinating die.

And there you have it. Really loved this technique and plan to make some more cards for my stash along the same lines. Thanks to Melissa for another terrific challenge. 

And thanks to all of you for stopping to visit with me. I do so love it when you leave me your comments. Cheers.

~ Melanie ~

13 comments:

  1. Just beautiful! I hope the chocolate was yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...you totally rocked this challenge Melanie! Your cards are both absolutely GORGEOUS...I can't even pick a favorite! I love your blue flowers on the black in your first card...so striking! And I love that piece of background paper you used from a box of chocolate...just perfect for the background! And your Gladiola's are STUNNING Melanie! Love how you popped them on the lattice...such a lovely, lovely card! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of your cards are gorgeous, Melanie! But I am drawn to the Gladiolas since they are one of my favorite flowers...and the lattice background is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.... both cards and blooms are absolutely gorgeous! Love the layers on the cards too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful stamp choices (I used the DFTW die and In Bloom also!) for this challenge and lovely colors. These cards are too pretty to give away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2 lovely cards, Melanie. beautiful dies and stamps you used, and gorgeous coloring too! Hope the chocolate was as good as the sweet vellum wrapping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh MY! Absolutely gorgeous! Love the 1st framed one, sooooo pretty! And then your beautiful flowers and fantastic lattice on the 2nd one looks AMAZING! WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both cards are fabulous and I am especially loving your gladiolus! I wish I could have purchased that Garden Gate kit--it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melanie, both of your cards are really pretty. I love the dies and stamps you chose to use.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful cards!! Love the lattice you used.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both cards are wonderful! I really like your beautiful blue flowers on the black!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both cards are beautiful, Melanie, but those "Glads" really stand out on the lattice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These cards are AMAZING! love love love

    ReplyDelete